Wednesday 11 March 2015

GO NATIVE


Above is a small painting I did quite a while ago but wasn't sure if i ever posted it. It's a scan - the colours are a bit more luscious and depthy in real life.
And below are general sketchbook scans...
The second and third are ones I did on my lonely Valentine's night in, when a super exciting party-time ended up not happening, and everyone was smoochin with their lovers. And Dom was havin a lads night. So i sat alone and painted by candlelight - I couldn't actually really see what I was painting properly, but I like them. I listened to amazing music and had a nice dinner at my desk, so it was ok!

Anyway, I went away skiing last week. Was good to be in the mountain, and in a French speaking place; French is such a relaxing language. The crisps and olives were delish, the weather was great!
I also had time to go through my notebook and think about what exactly i'm doing, without getting distracted by the studio or work. So here are some phrases I came up with to describe my current practice and project:

Expression of an effort towards conviction (Swaglands)

I wanna drive emotion and spirits from all the places they hide (Swaglands)

Giving the features of our vicarious lives a totemic status in order to deepen self-awareness about our desires, and to enjoy minutae. (Fan clubs / Swaglands)

A representational artwork: the solidifying of a key moment in a wider discourse or monologue

An idealism on a bedrock of principles about the virtues of certain things (I actually read this in Bruce Springsteen's biography, describing him. But he's my soul brother)

GO NATIVE

A search for a desired meaning is the aim and the methodology; one can work without the other.





Below - some planning and scheming for some paintings etc...



Some of my eco-friendly greetings cards, hand printed on card made of algae!! looking for paces to sell 'em

Some interesting marks on the table!



work in progress

some photos of bits of a painting i'm workin' on



Mama and me sheltering under a bush from the hail in Penge


Scrapbook time

This is a page in my scrapbook, of an Italianate building, with Minna Gilligan - an artist/illustrator who I like very much. This photo is her in front of some of her work, but I thought she in her robe fitted well with this building! 

Some paintings I did at the Nicoll's house - it's good being a nanny sometimes: plentiful supply of painting materials!

'Sugarpalm'
Home and Away have been on real top form with location shooting recently, and also with their cinematography. Check these out...!!! My heaven.


Ash and Brax before the murder in the cave....





And my favourite River Boy, Brax - I fear he may be about to be killed off, leaving the Bay empty & a bit too law-abiding :(

No comments:

Post a Comment