Sunday 22 March 2015

Small with no bodies touching

I've been having a look at loads of emerging artists this weekend - every few weeks I have a good
look at other peoples stuff! - and loads of it is BIG! I suddenly felt like my work isn't big enough!?
In the past some of it has been very big - I mean big enough to fill with about 80 litres of water, or to make use of an entire lecture theatre - but now it is smaller or flatter than a lot of other artists work. I like what I make, obviously, otherwise I wouldn't make it and survive on a bare minimum wage in a quite random job with no contract to do so.
I think I used to make bigger work because I felt like I had to at uni - It felt like it wouldn't be legit if it wasn't big. I felt like I had to fill a space, because otherwise I'd be wasting my fees. They always tell you, right from when you start art classes at age 6, 'make it bigger!!!'. It's good advice, but I think i'm allowed to retreat now!
But today, for a moment, my work somehow started to seem trivial and hobbyist, simply because it mostly fits onto my big studio table, no matter whether it's 2D or 3D. Like it could fit in a Hobbycraft tray at the end of the day. (Well actually most of it isn't that small - but you get the idea!)
But then I realised....
...I don't want to make big work because I'm a bit shy. I hate being the centre of attention more than anything. If I made big work I would feel obnoxious - like I'd be trying to say something about ME. I am not saying anything about me; I'm simply using my own analysis of my own behaviours, attentions and desires to reflect on society at large; locally and globally as much as I can.
I want to work small enough to not have my body respond too much to it, the way that it does with spatial, visceral, anthropomorphic sculptural types of work. (Holly Hendry is one that pops into my head here) My physical body betrays me enough emotionally as it is (although these are troubles I am slowly learning to control) without bringing body politics into a discourse with my work.
The only bodily response to my work that I would seek, would be the feeling of being aware of the weather, the temperature, the atmosphere: of nature's brush on the body.

* And on a side note.... My work almost entirely ignores gender (the obvious body politic) because I find sexism so trivial. Yes i'm all for women's rights and LGBQT (there's officially a Q in there now for 'queer') rights, but that's obvious without me having to say simply cos I have an ambition and i'm self-sufficient as a girl.

So conclusively, I don't want to make big, body-aware types of spacey/formy work - I don't want that consideration in front of me. I think our minds are what ought to be more aware regardless of our bodies; we can adapt and change our minds much easier and faster than we can change our bodies. Our minds are our main tool. If I make any space based work it is entirely based on the research into, and desire to create more inter-cerebral activity between people: to make them think and speak together organically (preferably without digital means if you please) - Not to focus on putting their bodies next to each other. I want my work to exercise our minds, memories, imaginations and dreams.
I really want to be able to pack up a l my work into a small suitcase if needs be and run away to the desert with it. That's why I like working with fabric: it all folds down.

So - here I present you with the visual results of my weekend...


but you can't be smug and promise to be helpful, some people can't/don't wanna participate


My beautiful and growing collection of jiffy bags and packaging materials. They look like little islands :) I imagine this is why I like small work too - a full parcel means a lot!



Cannot work out what to do with this piece, which i've pulled the letters off. It's definitely a shrine or a monument (intentional or not) that is the subject of that painting. The letters situate its questions in a more socio-historical context... but how to display it?!

It does fold down nicely into some sort of ritual kit




And the agenda for next week shall be:

- more on bathtime...
- music/song structures as an accompanying pattern to the playing out of certain emotions (to fulfill the therapeutic aspect of my view on art)
- looking at other artists who I feel my work has a dialogue with and comparing and contrasting
- trying out big fabric monoprints in my dyed fabrics, as wall hangings, room divider and dress fabrics











No comments:

Post a Comment