Tuesday 12 April 2016

I believe my troubles and your troubles shook hands

Ok, best few weeks in studio - endless endless aesthetic party time - been getting super messy and in the zone and going into the studio with my headphones on and forgetting where I am for hours on end and forgetting to eat even, and getting all wired on coffee cos I can't bear to tear myself away from the paints, inks, glitter, paper and fabric for more then a second. So much fun!

I've been trying really hard to summarise my social and environmental agenda recently, without going into excessive detail - because i'd never sleep if i tried to embark on that path! I find twitter is good for this because of the word limit, and if I had a smart phone i'd use instagram for the same reason.
But anyway here is my twitter: https://twitter.com/PhillyHunt1 and some recent tweets that may provoke research or thought:

I'm soon releasing a new imaginary album called 'From my denim coffin': a white girl attempt to understand the & its cultural history
*
Songs also explore cultural / environmental / human rights impacts of denim culture & rock'n'roll too, & associated

*

new msg from Bruce: i know he's got sway by being The Boss but shows pop culture (& withdrawal of) spreads messages

*

character in my doom/ awareness/ exhib: Molly from Linfen. go 2 for more info on Linfen




*

my film about the risk of idealism & cultural blindness in relation to environment & society...



*


I've also been getting really into my creative self without trying to simmer down my instincts for worry of political correctness or ability to communicate very important social and environmental issues in great detail. I realised that was making me feel constantly a bit crap and like I was underperforming and not making any headway because I was getting so bogged down in how to perfectly express and communicate my position on certain issues such as complexities between racism and climate poverty.
So now i'm looking at different ways, or perhaps additional ways, to unpack social and environmental truths which can run alongside my visual art practice. So i'm all for making my art super aesthetic, but full of references which can be explored in little or great detail, and which can still provoke ideas and thoughts on issues, but which can be taken lightly so as not to scare too many people off. Slowly slowly catchy monkey is my new motto - don't push my own opinions too hard to patronize people through my artwork, but get them enjoying it on surface level, and provide an option to explore further if they want to. My visual practice will be an entry point to other things - writing, podcasts, zine/s, clothing and maybe some music playlists, which will frame certain issues and explore them more fully for any viewer who wishes to do that.
I also like the idea of maybe one day someone buying a piece of my art cos they like it visually, and maybe not knowing as they hang it on their wall that it is full of references and pointers to a certain issues or moment in cultural history. Then maybe one day they will get one of those references and look into the subject!































photo i took from a few years ago - but i love it! lush colours and composition and blocking i think,



This whole plan for myself to enjoy the aesthetic and emotional side of my art more sort of came from all the music i've been listening to recently while I work which I will cover now, because it's so important to my vibe:
These are just a few videos to intro y'all to some of my favourite albums by the artists:

















I just love Matthew Ryan, I think he's the only musician i've been a tireless fan of, considering I first heard him in 2005 or 2006, and have always been amazed by him. Here he is guesting on Drunken Lullabies podcast in which he is just so eternally inspiring, this episode is a very recent one from March this year. He comes in mainly at around 46 mins. There's a lot of beer chat in this episode, so skip to Matthew's bit, and listen to the rest, there's some good chat as well about Paul Westerberg (from The Replacements) and more of my fave musicians.
Matthew Ryan has done tours where he's played at people's houses - I also think that is so cool and has powerful potential for curating and putting on socially engaged gig series with no compromises on sponsorship, mixed messages or transport of equipment.

p.s It is not lost on me that these are all white men from the land of punk and rock, but I can't help my taste - I'm not into politically excavating my taste, I just like what I like and that's that. It helps that they wear some brilliant denim.
Also I realise I say y'all too much.

And last weekend I saw Jared Hart, and Brian Fallon and the Crowes live in Camden and I just nearly passed out it was so brilliant. I seriously wonder why people even need or want to take drugs when they go out, when they could just go see some amazing live music, i've been on a high ever since.
Also I met a Canadian guy in the crowd and we became gig buddies for the night and it's just so cool that music, and especially live music, can make people drop their guard and be so friendly and open and instantly you can get into really intense and fanatical conversation because you're both into the same music. So cool! Pop music = social glue. I'm the new Emile Durkheim, but instead of being a theologian i'm a pop-culture-oligian!?
And one artist whose show I saw recently in Bath at the Museum of East Asian Art who really has an incredible atmospheric vibe and technical excellence in her work is Wu-Lan Chiann. She is a Taiwanese printmaker and ink painter who is just amazing, please look her up. Her use of shadow, light and time of day is so amazing.
Oh, and the 6th episode of Season 5 of 'Girls' which came on TV recently was just so filmic and brilliant and that had strong vibes for me.
I've been doing heaps of reading about Cult TV again and now realising i'm not going to fight my TV admiration - I barely watch much TV but when I do I love it. I think TV, when used properly, is super powerful for engagement and activism.

Anyway, I wanna show y'all everything i've been making in the studio but saving it for surprises at my show in June at The Peckham Pelican.
Also a super cool magazine that looks at art, culture and climate change asked to print one of my projects in their new issue and interviewed me about it, and about what I think culture and art can do for climate change. Watch this space...

And here is a little round up of other things that have been interesting me the last two weeks:

Theaster Gates: An artist form Chicago. His approach to art and not waiting around for people to pay you attention and listen, but to just create your own opportunities and platform for saying and doing what you want to. When I worked for Mexican artist Pedro Reyes on his project 'Sanatorium' at the Whitechapel Gallery, Theaster Gates was exhibiting next to us in the same room but I never got to meet him :(





Absolutely brilliant article which talks about the portrayal of indigenous poverty and living situations by the media, and mistrust of journalists. Links to an amazing journalism story the Washington Post that tries to address these issues.

A bittersweet story of the piano angel man of Edmonton.

And this is an article, which I fear may be directed at people like me, as i'm not of ethnic minority, living in poverty, or a member any other marginalised demographic. Unless you count being a girl or having red hair. Which I don't personally find to be affecting my enjoyment of life, apart from the odd ridiculous comment on the street. The only slight marginal demographic I have ever sat in that has had a big and lasting effect on my enjoyment of life is that i've suffered/suffer with a mental health issue, which I have experienced to a very disruptive but not necessarily very dangerous point.
But as i've said before, please don't eliminate me from spreading some good word just because I'm white/living in a house I pay for myself/employed/British/went to a good school/from a good home etc. I can at least provide an access point for people as fortunate as myself onto issues affecting less fortunate people and communities, because I have direct social contacts with people like me.
But yes - I know I don't know the half of how crap life is for so many people, and yes I know I can't speak for people and situations I have no experience of.

I am actually planning a little interactive piece for my show in June which will lightly touch on the idea that too many of us shy away from upsetting or demanding or tricky situations that might threaten to topple our own smooth (or not!) lives and minds. It will also frame me as someone who cares about stuff but maybe doesn't have the scope of experience to be capable of naturally feeling enough urgency to actively and tirelessly push for a realistic solution. Warning: It will be a bit self-deprecating and I realise that may come across as trying to warrant pity or encouragement from others in a crumby/trendy art show that I paid for with money from my easy jobs (I'm a cleaner, nanny and art technician). But so be it - haters gonna hate.
The piece will be sort of inspired by selfies ;)
So cliche huh. Love a good pop culture cliche for getting the crowds assembled!

No comments:

Post a Comment