Tuesday 22 September 2015

Our cerebral theatre set

The last week has bought me a fair few treats:

A trip with Free Space Gallery to see Romeo & Juliet, the ballet, at Royal Opera House in Covent Garden. A group of 170 of us went; all people who have been involved in the mental health care services and activities at Kentish Town Health Centre. It was incredible. I'm not a fan of classical music, it actually makes me a bit irate and brings back some slightly uncomfortable memories of some bad parts of school, so I was a bit nervous of watching a ballet accompanied by classical music for nearly three hours. BUT - the music was very subtle and gentle and kind of modern sounding classical as far as I could tell. And coupled with the fact we were sitting high up in a dimly lit red and gold theatre made it a really relaxing, calming experience. Of course the dancing, costumes and set were magnificent! Juliet was tiny! Rome had nice white tights. And there was a group of six male ballerinas carrying lutes, wearing amazing pink leggings and lime green pixie boots.
Dom came, and we saw a few friendly faces of people who had been to some of my mono-printing workshops in the previous weeks, which was really nice.

This is one of the sketches i did at the ballet. It's the stage set, and some strange thoughts about a boneyard. The structure of the set reminded me of the elephant graveyard in the Lion King, and also of an installation about dying trees and deforestation and endangered species that I planned months back. So all these stray thoughts came together in this sketch somehow. More to come on this idea I think....

I also finished off two pieces inspired by my research into tattoos, rituals and creating 'safe spaces' that i've been doing during my Free Space residency. One piece involves onion skins, blue paint, and orange gems.
The other involves a lot of silver glitter, white suede and a smooth totemic stone that I acquired on the beach when Dom and I went camping in a tipi in Suffolk for my 21st birthday/our first anniversary.
Watch this space.... they are for my exhibition at Free Space Gallery in November, but I may show both in the reception area of Kentish Town Health Centre in the meantime, They are quite playful and text based so they'd be nice distraction for people waiting for the doctors.

I also started painting some fabric with which I am going to make a Japanese/Patti Smith inspired room divider/space maker screen.
Again... watch this space.

I've also been sourcing frames form charity shops. I have a tendency to be a bit messy with my work, but I have now vowed to look after things properly and frame them when they are done. Alas I am not in the position to get nice frames made so charity shops it is, but i've done well so far.

And also, lucky me got a handmade macrame plant pot and holder from my ever clevee and fabulously talented friend Emma who just learned and mastered this skill and presented me with a beautiful birthday present as a result!

Another theatre structure. With something beyond.
Above is a collage that I made loosely to help me channel my idea of imaginary worlds, fictional personas and vicarious living.
Seeing the ballet made me realise we can construct a theatre set for ourselves in our minds, in which to rehearse for real life, or to act out fantastical scenarios and events that we hanker after, or that we would find too fearful in the real world.
This is exploring the idea of an outpost on the other side of our cerebral activity; the side that does not belong to the corporeal world but only exists (and flourishes, and is entirely necessary and essential) in our minds, for us to feel emotionally tranquil and psychologically exercised.. or even exorcised.

Below are some bits and pieces of recent studio/late night bedroom listening to Lana Del Rey and painting sessions times on the aforementioned themes:











I just love Lana's tats

Some of my fabric patches

Epic departure shot of Kyle leaving Summer Bay

Banana palm atop the endless stairs. Unfortunately I think this piece doesn't make the cut. It has been banished to the reject pile. But I shall sure miss this ol' piece of foward-thinking foliage, on it's architectural pedastal.
This has been a rushed post, but i'm madly organising for my eaarly morning departure tomorrow to the Pyrenees, walking for 6 days and camping out in the wilds of the mountains. Lorde protect me from the vultures and Lana & Patti inspire me to be inspired please. Amen, peace out, may the force we be with you... see you on 2nd October for another workshop in tattoo design, mono-printing and fabric printing.

No comments:

Post a Comment