Friday 6 February 2015

Excuse the melange

This post is likely going to be quite a melange of images; been looking back on some summer photos. First of all, I am most pleased to offer up this small piece: An interview with MEEEEE on Soapbox Press - you heard it here first!

And below are details of my finished coat, which I wore for a special and relevant occasion. I'm really pleased with it and I think the person I made it for would've liked it too :)




This is a shelving unit I made with Papa in the summer out of some old scaffolding planks and and old wooden ladder. I love it! 


And below; i finally made screen-printed labels for my Swag clothes.


*

This is an idea I have in relation to a festival art-piece i'm going to pitch, but it sounded rhythmic when I said it, so I painted a wee sketch of the idea.


Tsonga; the kitten with a Norwegian accent, hunting


These are some photos I took in our garden at home in the summer, just while I was exploring with Tsonga and Clarrie. They are in a file I named 'LEAFY PILLOW FOOT' - I think i wanted to collage them all up and made them into a massive beanbag/duvet and pillow set.
I think they're quite visceral; they really make me able to feel my skin and my feet and water and slimy lilypads and dusty soil. They seemed all the more relevant today after I read this article by Jane Riddiford who runs Global Generation in King's Cross - a sustainable skip-garden and kitchen.
I just really like how it focuses on people being aware of being aware, and that they can use their bodies to be aware of the world.














I learned something great this afternoon on True Icon...
In Massachusetts a small miracle is happening: a new, small-scale, clothing production studio has set up... and is environmentally ethical in it's practice! They also make small runs for new starting designers who want to know they are having their clothes made in a sustainable way.
This hasn't been much of an option before; the small runs, the ethics, the affordability, the non-shady practice all combined. You might get one... without the others. 
But this place looks great, it's called Good Clothing Company :) Hopefully one day they might like a dye master to dye the fabrics with natural pigments.
And this vid is a bit more about them and their cause:



Good Clothing Company from John Gamache on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment