Monday 14 July 2014

Monochrome Homestead

Composites of everything i've ever experienced and everything i've ever imagined

...Our Show...


three of my pieces propped up in the back, and house tiles and cups by Ruth Pilston in the front!



Quilt by Rachael Pilston


I think on reflection, the work i displayed in our show, and also the show as a whole, was a good depiction of the dreams that are wrapped up in hometown and smalltown pride. The communities, and the individual ambitions and dreams that come from both those physical places and their emotional spaces.... how these places keep their peoples' creativity and curiosity alive because they owe it to the place. (Even if the place is somewhere they've not come from, but are desperate to go - like if you want to escape the stinky city!)
I hadn't realised my work was taking that direction so quickly, I just figured I had been focusing on and exploring a few characters that embodied those characeristics. So that's good! It looked fairly coherent to me, apart from a bit too much pink in some areas!





The above four images are really all about the creation of fake memories, or an idealised remembering of actual memories. These are things I think I do sometimes, either to try and feel better about good memories that ended badly, or to keep ambitions and ideologies and dreams going! This sort of picks up from where I was going with the open-air Outback cinema image I got obsessed with... which I will carry on working on. I did a sketch I liked of that cinema, and a bit of a rubbish painting (on some really nice fire retardant wood I found in a skip!)
*
Below are some works I made from different paints I made, using turmeric, paprika and beetroot. They are painted onto fabric that I dyed with onion skins and black beans. They are then monoprinted.
The texts are catchy phrases from Home and Away that they seem to say a lot! They mention local towns that give three different identities to the people in Home and Away.




No comments:

Post a Comment