Wednesday 12 November 2014

Glitter and donkeys



So i keep ordering glitter off ebay. Every time i sell something on ebay, I spend the money on glitter!
Now i'm just trying to think why i love it so much! 
It's partly also to do with VISIBILTY: the raw essence of visual arts, that I think most of us who have had academic education in the arts, or even the slightest bit of experience of contemporary art, forgot about! And visibility can occur through anything - colour, form, luminescence, texture, setting)


This is part of sketch for a fountain (of glitter!) i'm designing

And below are some painted sketches. They initially started from something the architect Aldo Van Eyck said about 'variety within a system - a pattern with an interruption that sets off on a new line of movement'. This was a rhythm he admired in visual art, and employed it in his architectural designs to influence perspectives of the inhabitants.
I want to use this idea in the formal design of my Swagstation (which i've been collection some great wood for, from local skips). So I decided to take his words literally in my sketches. But straight away they turned into another idea, one that I had: that in all the community engagement projects that surround us, many of them don't accommodate our insatiable need for privacy. So these images sort of show private shelters/hidey holes, in the open mass.



And here are the donkeys of St Ouen's, Jersey. Just near Dom's house.




*

OH, and my scans of some of my new reclaimed fabrics!


No comments:

Post a Comment